Divorce is a difficult time for not only the two people who have decided to end their marriage but for all those closely linked to them. Emotions will run high and rash decisions can be made which may not be the best of solutions. Enlisting the help of a family law solicitor who specialises in divorce is the only way to ensure that you both finish the process with what is rightfully and justly owed to you. Finances, property, custody of and access to any children, business shares and so on are all things that need to carefully be investigated and proposals presented and agreed upon.
Initially the grounds for divorce will have to be decided and verified. One party will have to be the petitioner who will initially submit divorce proceedings to the other party (the respondent). The respondent will then have to state if they agree to the grounds for divorce or if they wish to counter submit a petition stating alternative reasoning.
There are five main reasons that will support the divorce claims once proof has been obtained that you have been married legally for at least one year: Either you or your spouse has been unfaithful, behaved unreasonably, desertion, living apart for more than two years and both want a divorce or have been living apart for at least five years with no intention to reconcile.
The Family Law team at Bailey & Cogger will work alongside you to:
- check that you are eligible to apply for a divorce and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation should the eligibility criteria not be met;
- complete all necessary paperwork;
- work to reach a suitable arrangement between you both where there are children to be considered, for example custody and financial provisions.
- help you to apply for a parental responsibility order where you have no legal rights in respect of a child you have cared for;
- help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
- advise you on making a will or updating an existing will in which your spouse may be mentioned;
- liaise with pension providers when there are issues around entitlement to split pension benefits;
- represent your interest should any aspect of your divorce result in a hearing before the courts.
We can also offer signposting to support systems should either party be involved in domestic violence or abuse.
Advising families throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tonbridge, Maidstone, Gravesend, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by Skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment / Legal aid
A first meeting is offered on a Fixed Fee basis where preliminary advice can be offered and you will be given estimates of costings of all stages of the process together with an indication of how long it will all take.
Get in touch
Call us on 01732 353053 if you are looking for advice regarding a divorce, or alternatively use our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.