It is becoming more and more common these days for couples to be together but to not feel the need to enter into a legally binding marriage or civil partnership. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this however it is important to be aware that this does mean you do not qualify for the same legal rights as a married couple would in the event of separation.
It can be prudent therefore to consider constructing an agreement which would outline what would happen to assets, children, property, businesses and finance should the relationship break down or one of the parties pass away.
At Bailey & Cogger solicitors in Tonbridge, our experienced family lawyers are experts at providing advice to unmarried couples on a wide variety of issues, including but not limited to:
- cohabitation agreements, which detail everything from who owns what to responsibility for bills and debts;
- arrangements for children, particularly where one partner wants to be involved in a child’s life through adoption or the grant of parental responsibility;
- organisation of property ownership and bank accounts, to ensure everything is either in joint or individual names, depending on what has been agreed;
- the resolution of a property dispute where there is disagreement about ownership issues or tenancy rights;
- pension sharing where there is uncertainty about your partner’s entitlement;
- inheritance rights and making a will to ensure your wishes are carried out;
- compromise agreements to formally severe ties if your relationship breaks down;
- financial arrangements; and
- disputes about children.
Mediation can be used as a tool to come to a mutually acceptable agreement if you struggle between you to reach a compromise.
Advising families throughout Kent and beyond
We can also offer meetings by skype where appropriate In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment / Legal aid
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements at a fixed cost of £95 plus VAT. After that we can arrange flexible payment terms including monthly billing to help you budget.
Get in touch
Call us on 01732 353305 if you need our help. Alternatively complete our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.