When seeking the care of a medical professional you are putting yourself in a vulnerable position by trusting them to carry out their treatment in the exact manner it should be done. If you find yourself in a situation whereby you do not feel that the service you received was of an acceptable standard and you are subsequently suffering either physically, mentally or indeed both, you may be in a position to file a medical negligence claim against the practitioner. A claim for costs to be recovered can be in regards to loss of earnings or hindrance against potential future earnings, any additional treatment required to compensate or rectify the negligent act, or any adaptations needed within your home, car or place of work to enable you to continue to live your life as normally as before.
Additionally, you may also be able to launch a claim on behalf of a relative who has been injured, or more severely, posthumous in the event of their death as a result of negligence. Any medical organisation can be held accountable including cosmetic surgery clinics and practitioners, dentists, opticians and GPs.
As with all negligence claims there are timeframes in places that must be adhered to so your claim can still be classed as current and valid. Therefore if you have been the unfortunate victim of medical negligence it is important to seek legal advice as soon as you are able to.
Our expertise includes handling:
- claims against hospitals and GPs for failing to spot serious illness, misdiagnosing a condition, carrying out inappropriate treatment, failing to provide the correct treatment, mistakes made in surgery, the mismanagement of pregnancy or childbirth, failing to seek a second opinion or to make a referral where justified, providing inadequate aftercare and the neglect of basic personal healthcare needs;
- claims against dentists for failing to spot gum disease or oral cancer, badly performed root canal treatment, the unnecessary removal of heathy teeth, temporary or permanent nerve damage and poor orthodontic work;
- claims against opticians for failing to spot eye cancer or other diseases likely to affect vision, unnecessarily prescribing glasses, failing to prescribe glasses where appropriate and fitting contact lenses where not recommended;
- claims against cosmetic surgeons for mistakes made in surgery or for providing unnecessary, inappropriate or poorly performed treatment or for using unlicensed products; and
- claims against care homes for failing to use specialist lifting equipment, not providing appropriate mobility aids, administering inappropriate medication, failing to provide required medication and failing to ensure general patient safety.
Advising individuals throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tonbridge, Maidstone, Gravesend, Chatham and Tenterden where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
If the need arises, we can also offer meetings at your home or in hospital. Meetings via skype are also possible for clients who frequently need to travel abroad.
Most medical negligence cases can be funded under a conditional fee agreement which means there will usually be no legal fees to pay unless your claim is successful.
For clients not eligible for conditional fee funding we can offer flexible payment terms to help you budget for the payment of legal fees. We can also offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £220 – £375 plus VAT depending on your solicitor’s experience.