When enlisting the help of a professional body to undertake work for you, be it in a personal or professional capacity, there will be a pre-determined level of service you will be expecting to receive. Should this prove during the work process or once the job is completed not to be the case, and as a result you have suffered financially, physically or mentally, you may be eligible to pursue a professional negligence claim against the service provider.
What do I have to prove?
You will be required to submit evidence that whichever service received from the individual or business you wish to claim against were below the acceptable standard as expected, or in some cases not received at all. You will need to be able to show that as a direct result of this you have suffered a loss be it financial or otherwise, and this could be in the form of bank statements, medical certificates, on site reports and so on.
Who you can claim against?
A claim for professional negligence can be brought against anyone who provides a service which is generally accepted as requiring a certain degree of expertise or skill and where the professional has represented themselves as having that expertise or skill. This could be for example via their website, reviews and testimonials or other marketing material advertising their trade. These professionals can include:
- surveyors, architects, engineers or builders;
- accountants, financial advisors, insurance brokers or professional trustees;
- solicitors, conveyancers or barristers; and
- IT experts or software developers.
Our experienced team of professional negligence solicitors can help you to:
- obtain any relevant paperwork to establish what has gone wrong and whether a negligence claim may be possible;
- prepare a formal letter to the professional setting out details of your claim including details of what you consider they have done wrong and inviting them to provide their response before consideration is given to pursuing a claim at court;
- try to negotiate an amicable settlement of your claim; and
- make a claim at court where an out of court settlement cannot be reached.
We will also investigate whether you are entitled to pursue any further claims, for example a claim for breach of contract.
Should your professional negligence claim be against the medical industry, our expert medical negligence team will support you throughout the process.
Advising individuals throughout Kent and beyond
If the need arises, we can also offer meetings at your home or via skype where appropriate.
How much does it cost?
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £220 – £375 plus VAT depending on your solicitor’s experience. After that we can arrange flexible payment terms, including monthly billing to help you budget.